Congratulations to our Chirano mine, which received six prestigious awards from the Ghana Mining Industry and the Ghana National Mine Performance government agency in December.
Chirano took home three awards from the inaugural Ghana Mining Industry Awards dinner hosted by the Ghana Chamber of Mines, the most awards of any company.
The site’s awards included:
- Best Performer in Environmental Management
- First runner-up in Occupational Health and Safety
- First Runner-up in Best Company in Local Content (using local suppliers and making an impact in the community)
Also announced in December, Chirano won three awards from the Ghana National Mine Performance agency for:
- Best Improved Mine, Second Place
- Best Mine Team Based on Safety & First Aid, Second Place
- Best Mine Based on Occupational Injury Statistics for 2015, Second Place
The six awards follow another national recognition in Ghana as Chirano was announced as the top miner in environmental and Corporate Responsibility performance by the Environmental Protection Agency.
“These achievements symbolize the relentless effort at the site to enhance the safety of all employees and contractors, and our strong commitment to the environment,” said Ken Norris, Vice-President and General Manager, Chirano. “Congratulations to the entire Chirano team for these impressive achievements!”
At the awards ceremony from left to right: Collins Barnieh, Continuous Improvement Manager, Evelyn Glover, Office Manager, Accra, Ken Norris, Vice-President and General Manager, Chirano, Thomas Nyarko-Danquah, Human Resources and Corporate Responsibility Manager, Dr. Koduah Dapaah, Health, Safety and Environment Manager and Stephen Agyeman, Mining Manager
Dr. Aubynn, CEO of the Ghana Chamber of Mines, Minerals Commission presenting an award to Ken Norris