In 2015, the Toronto office raised a record $37,738 in donations for a wide variety of charities and causes, the most since the fundraising program was started in 2009.
Every month for the past six years, the Toronto office social committee have led, organized and hosted events like jeans and sneakers days and bake sales to raise money for different issues. In 2015, this included helping our colleagues overcome wildfires near Kettle River-Buckhorn and mudslides in Chile, to donating to the West Africa Ebola Fund and local foodbanks.
Since the social committee started the program six years ago, more than $185,000 has been raised.
“It is heartwarming to see the generosity of spirit in Kinross employees,” said Shelley Riley, Vice-President, Office Services and Corporate Secretary and social committee member. “Every year, employees continue to support the causes sponsored by the social committee. Every little bit does help and can make a difference.”
The money raised in 2015 was given to 10 charities:
- Canadian Red Cross – West Africa Ebola Fund
- Heart & Stroke Foundation
- Canadian Wildlife Foundation
- Camp Oochigeas for children with cancer
- Chilean flood relief
- The Children’s Aid Foundation’s Corsage Project
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH)
- Kettle River Forest Fire Relief
- Daily Bread Food Bank
- Holiday Helpers ‘adopt’ a family in need over the holiday season
“Thank you to everyone who has helped organize events and made donations,” added Shelley.
Bake sale items for Chilean relief in April
Daily bread food bank boxes for families in need
Balloon-a-grams take over the office in support of Heart & Stroke for Valentine’s Day in February